Labels

Monday, November 4, 2013

A day of rest..and lovely things

"On the seventh day God had finished His work of creation, so He rested." -Genesis 2:2 (NLT)

We live in a society that thrives on the hustle and bustle of everyday work, there always seems to be something to be worked on, and no time to "stop and smell the roses." As a stay at home mom myself, I am busier with my two children than I had ever been at any previous employment I ever had. Between my daughter's school, taking care of my son and his extra learning, the never ending loads of laundry, cooking, cleaning, homework, prepping, devotions, the Titus ministry (a ministry through my church that I lead to teach young girls/ladies how to read their bibles among many other things), being a Scentsy consultant, blogging, etc., there just seems to be no time for idleness. God created us, and in doing so He knew we would be like this. After creating the universe and all that entails, He set aside a day to rest and enjoy His work. Did He tire and need to rest? He is God, He could never rest and still go on and function for the rest of eternity but He set an example for us by resting on the seventh day. So often we get so caught up in everything that we forget to take that precious day off, and the effects could be disastrous to ourselves and loved ones. We can be crankier, short-tempered, irritable, and we take it out on the ones we love most and they also are hungry for that time to just be with us. It is also hard to hear God's still, small voice when all we keep is noise around us constantly. "Be still, and know that I am God."- Psalm 46:10

Our day of rest is a time to renew, reflect, and relax. It is such a precious gift to have and so rewarding its no wonder God commanded it of us, its a great blessing!
So here's a little bit of my most recent day of rest. Of course, it started with going to church in the morning in which I had some fun getting dressed and loved my outfit that day.

Church (as always) was awesome and after, we spent some time at the in-laws and my moms and came home. I love to craft and create whenever I have the opportunity and as you saw from my previous post about the Glitter and Spice Workshop I attended, you saw the fall succulent arrangement I made. Of course, since I have a brown thumb and can't keep plants alive to save my life, the arrangement had died and molded and the only survivor was my lone succulent. So I transferred it into my Glitter and Spice coffee mug and was quite happy with it! So I found a new home for it where it can get plenty of sunlight and grace me with its beauty on my makeup vanity.


 One of my favorite ways to relax and unwind is to read. Recently I started to re-read my most FAVORITE book ever!! Its a Christian fiction by Francine Rivers called "Redeeming Love," and it is a book I could never tire of. I sincerely enjoy having a real book to read, I'm not a fan of the e-readers. There is just something about turning the pages, the smell of the book, in some instances the history and age of the book itself and who it has passed from. This particular copy was gifted to me from my dearest friend before she moved to Texas, she knew how much I loved it, and it is and always will be precious to me!
Since the weather has cooled, I absolutely love being able to snuggle under a throw and be in comfy PJ's and a favorite chair or reading spot. Enter my two favorite spots in the house!! The Lazy boy chair was inherited from my late grandparents and its beyond heaven to sit in. The other is the rocker I have rocked both my babies in and I just can't bear to part with it yet.


 Please excuse my faded makeup it was the end of the day and it was all about to go down the drain anyway lol.

I was so refreshed and blessed by my day of rest and I would really encourage you to remember to take that time off. It's ok to say "No" to an event or invitation if you haven't had that time to rest yet. You WILL be blessed by it! Take the day to remember all that wonderful things God has done, His creation all around you, the blessings you have received, and just enjoy life and your loved ones! I would love to hear your favorite ways to relax or what you like to do on your days of rest in the comments. :) 

                                                                  Happy Resting!




No comments:

Post a Comment