Labels

Thursday, December 5, 2013

A touch of Christmas; Decorating Lisette Style

IT'S HERE!!!! The most wonderful time of the year!! Like fall, I couldn't wait to put up my stuff like I usually do the day after Thanksgiving. I did two weeks early. Every year, I add just a little bit more or change just a little bit here and there as far as what I put up or make. When it comes to the holidays, I tend to veer away from traditional colors and find a way to always incorporate my favorite shades of course. So the question is, what is my Christmas decorating style? Is it beachy? Is it rustic? Is it whimsical? Is it shabby chic, or vintage-inspired? I really couldn't peg it down to any single one. I think it's very me, which seems to satisfy everyone else in the house. So BEHOLD! I give you Christmas-Lisette style! (warning-there will be LOTS of pics)


My mantle. My newest addition is the mercury glass owl and the amazing string art by Thread therapy. Oh and a few feathers in a blue mason jar never hurt anyone ;) I made the stockings two years ago out of felt and added little clusters of buttons in the top corner of them. The sign I recently made with a homemade turquoise stain and silhouetted letters and nativity modpodged on with the shelter being made of burlap. the window shutter is our newest Advent calendar!

The entry way table. The basket is filled with fresh pine clippings from my backyard and I threw in a few pine cones and cedar roses.
The Nativity-we are missing one wise man thanks to my daughter who decided these were fun to play with last year. We got these as a wedding gift 9 years ago and have stuck with them since.
This is a wreath we got years ago and I hang it on the interior side of the front door.
I made this wreath two years ago as well-just a Styrofoam ring wrapped in yarn and the "merry Christmas" is made out of jute string. And of course throw in a couple seashells, burlap and felt roses and voila!
I saw a tutorial on making cone trees out of cereal boxes. I downloaded the templet for them and had fun using materials I had on hand to finally have little cone trees!
After I started having kids, it wasn't very practical having glass ornaments anymore. Being on a tight budget, I got creative in finding ways to replace just about all of the fragile ones with handmade ones, I even recycled some of the old glass ones by wrapping them in yarn or jute-making them unbreakable.


I had an old King James Bible that we never used and it had some water damage, so I took out the pages with the Christmas story from Luke 2 and mod-podged them onto old glass ornaments.
Every year, I make it a point to buy at least one new ornament for the tree. Last year it was the white owl, this year it was this mercury glass vintage key via Threshold at Target, and the glittery pine cone was from Hobby Lobby.


Here's the tree!





What better way to end a day of decorating than a cup of hot cocoa! The rainbow marshmellows were just a bonus ;)
This was an amazing sunset after putting up the outside decor. God is the ultimate artist! <3
The lights we got last year are LED and these change into an array of different vibrant colors! We LOVE them!

What is your Christmas style? Whatever you like, use it! Make it your own and don't worry about "rules" or "perfection." And the most important thing is to remember to keep CHRIST in Christmas!!

"For unto us a child is born..." Isaiah 9:6























No comments:

Post a Comment